"Learn to know thyself."

"Learn to know thyself."

Sunday, August 22, 2010

My Name- Basel

Basel Fayoumi- Yellow Class


My Name- Basel

Our name is what we respond to. It also describes our personality. My name is Basel and this is my story. It’s an Arabic name that means brave and courageous. My great-grandfather was a walking grocery store who sold garlic and onions in a village called, “Fayoum”, in Egypt. When he got back to Beirut, Lebanon, people called him the “Fayoumi” which turned into my family’s last name. Did you know that I could have had the name Bilal? Our neighbour came over one day when I wasn’t born and my dad asked her which name it should be, Basel or Bilal. She said Basel, and that’s how my name came to be. There are two things about my name that stand out to me the most, one good thing, the other a bad thing. The good thing is my name is easy to spell. The bad thing is that every new teacher or sub that I get to know pretty much calls me a herb, which completely frustrates me. I really love my name. To me it sounds peaceful, but the real reason I like my name is because of the meaning. It fits me perfectly because when there was the 2006 war in Lebanon, I was scared but I didn’t cry. The bombs that were dropped were monsters that ripped buildings apart. I wouldn’t change my name unless I was forced to. I found my name’s history very interesting. I also had a ton of fun learning about my history. Now let's listen to your's.

1 comment:

  1. So sad to hear that you witnesses the horrors of war - and you are right, you are brave. I really liked this piece. It told me a lot about you. Some parts could have been expanded - they were so interesting!

    ReplyDelete